The article deals with the features of the organizational provisions of forensic and expert activity of the bodies of the system of the Ministry Internal Affairs of Ukraine, the patterns associated with the appointment of a forensic examination, its conduct and the activities of the forensic departments of the bodies of the system the Ministry Internal Affairs. It is also developed recommendations for improving the forensic expert activity.
Based on the results of the study, it was concluded that the ways to improve forensic examination should be:
– increasing the level of technical and forensic support for the disclosure, investigation and prevention of crimes;
– implementation of measures to increase the effectiveness of the participation of employees of expert services in the conduct of investigative actions and law enforcement intelligence operations;
– improvement of research activities and the introduction into practice of new technical and forensic tools, forensic expert methods and methodologies;
– conducting forensic records, analytical and organizational work based on the introduction of modern automated systems and technologies;
– generalization and dissemination of best practices and analysis of expert practice;
– improving the selection, training and placement of employees of expert subdivisions, strengthening of service and performance discipline;
– intensification of interaction between the expert service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs with other divisions of the bodies of the system of the Ministry Internal Affairs, as well as with other law enforcement agencies, including at the interstate level.
Key words: forensic institution, investigative bodies, forensic and expert activity, organizational and legal issues of expert activity.